Thursday, April 7, 2011

Recession Pudding

There is a strange phenomenon in my household regarding baked delicacies. I love to make them, but I don't eat them. My husband, on the other hand, adores them, but after hanging around me for the better part of two years, finds himself in a love/hate tug-of-war with all things sugar-laden.

And so Sunday found me making one of his favorites - homemade cinnamon rolls. But since he's watching his figure, he only ate half the batch, leaving the discards on the kitchen counter on a slow, steady trek toward staleness.

Well, come Wednesday I considered throwing them out. But they were homemade cinnamon rolls, and do we not remember life in the USSR or recall that we're currently in a global economic crisis? It's like no one has even read the Grapes of Wrath.

And so I give you Recession Pudding - the dessert that gives twice. I took my remaining rolls and threw in a sliced large apple and pulled off a pudding/cobbler concoction that, in RP's words "tastes like a giant hot doughnut." I even topped them with leftover cream cheese frosting, because--let's be serious--that could make dirt delectable.


Transform your unsuspecting stale cinnamon rolls into....


Something that tastes better than this looks. Promise.



Proof (in the pudding).


Recession Pudding

2 cups stale cinnamon rolls, cubed
1 cup thinly-sliced apples (one large)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cups milk
2 tbs butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 beaten egg

Place cinnamon rolls and apples in a medium greased baking dish. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring, until butter is melted. Pour over the bread/apple mixture. In a small bowl, beat the egg and add vanilla and cinnamon. Drizzle mixture over the bread and apples. Bake in a 350 oven for about 35 minutes. Top with something delicious (recommended: cream cheese frosting).



And speaking of recessions, if you're ever in the mood to spend $80 on measuring cups, I'm completely enamored with All-Clad. These cups and spoons are the best thing to grace my kitchen since RP brought home a large Roma from Pizza Port (and trust me, that's saying something).

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Have to try it!


    btw- Where did you learn how to cook so good??

    I know I didn't teach you!

    Love,
    Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete