Thursday, April 28, 2011

Confessions of the Unemployed

Three free days may seem menial to some, but if the last time you were unemployed you were watching 9/11 coverage on the news and stoked to shop at the Gap, you're overdue for a little bit of freedom.



And that's why I quit my job -- well, that and the fact that I'm married now and I just thought that's what you do.



In actuality, I'll be starting another position on Monday, but I've been so enchanted with this novel idea of free time, who knows if I'll actually show up (if RP is reading this, I'm totally kidding).



Yesterday, my day consisted of this:










Yesterday, RP's day consisted of this:









Which begs the question; who needs dual incomes in Southern California anyhow? I've taken my new-found freedom to construct a plan on how the Prices will continue to survive while the feminine half loafs about all day.




Item One: Downsize from 500 square-foot one-bedroom to 200 square-foot storage unit (on the west side of the 5; we're not barbaric).



Item Two: Participate in the master cleanse three weeks per month.



Item Three: Limit "dinner out" to the Costco food court and the dumpsters behind In-N-Out.



Item Four: Sell one car. Alternately, learn how to siphon gasoline.



Item Five: Sell RP's quiver of surfboards.



Item Six: Sell RP's luscious hair.



Item Seven: Send bald, surfless RP onto the street to panhandle when he's not at work (10 pm - 8 am).

Item Eight: Start suing people.



Item Nine: Begin claiming to be the "real" Kate Middleton.



Item Ten (if worse comes to worst): Move to Arizona.



We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Being the poor, single income family that we are, I have sadly thought of most of those...but not selling hair!

    I have an addition that I think about, all the time:
    -Sell me eggs, they've got to be worth at least $10,000 right?!

    I've been out of real work (I'm in grad school) for about 9 months, and let me tell you its addicting. I would definitely not recommend more than 2 weeks off, or honestly you'll never go back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely recommend NOT working. The beach is a much better alternative.

    ReplyDelete