Wednesday, January 4, 2012

You, Me, and Bunny Makes Three



This new year, RP and I wouldn’t hear of singing, “Should auld acquaintance be forgot,” because we still had one particular acquaintance on the brain: Suli, the ill-sighted San Diegan bunny.


So, throwing caution and the need for perfect vision to the wind, RP and I spent New Year’s Eve back in San Diego adopting our newest addition:


Meet Sadie Doe Price (the rabbit formerly known as Suli).


RP (heretofore known as ‘Papa Bunny’) spent the next two days making sure the apple—er, carrot—of his eye had all the comforts she needed – hay, pellets, perfectly-sized litter box (it took three attempts), dried mangos, hearts of romaine, he even built her a custom “second story” shelf for her cage.


All of this fussing elicited little to no response from Sadie.


Nonetheless, things around the Price house have gotten quite…. interesting. A fly on the wall of our apartment may, in fact, overhear any of the following statements:


“I don’t understand what the big deal is – we’re just a man and his rabbit.”


“Do you ever feel like all we talk about anymore is the bunny?”


“Honey, I think she’s using me for mangos.”


“So help me, if that thing leaves one more poop NOT in her litter box, I’m serving her in stew.”


“Honey, would you mind coming in here and helping me bond with this bunny?”


“Why wouldn’t she trust me? I trust me.”


“If she were a dog she’d be all over us right now.”


“I didn’t feed her enough. This is like being 13 all over again.”


“I think she’d be more interested in us if she were less interested in lettuce.”


“I feel like she was deceitful in the shelter with all her ‘oooh, pet me, pet me’ antics.”


“I think you feel like your bunny is different than all other bunnies.”


“She is.”


Complaints aside, we (read: RP) couldn’t be happier with our newest furry friend. She’s allowed us a taste of responsibility while still enabling us to leave her for hours at a time with only a heart of romaine for company.


Welcome to the family, Sadie dear.







No comments:

Post a Comment