Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mountain Snobbery


Having lived both in Utah and in Idaho (shhh... don’t tell anyone), I love a good trip to the mountains.
Unfortunately, RP doesn’t. 

Well, that’s not entirely true. As previously stated, the man is determined to one day be a subject of a Krakauer survival story. That said, he does not appreciate “not-quite-mountain” trips.

And that’s what he considers Big Bear Lake, California.

As made apparent by our weekend trip there.

In case you were wondering, Big Bear sports a beautiful lake, darling town, and all kinds of trout fishing.

This did not please RP. Much as I tried to console him with mountain hikes and trout fishing, he still had his (numerous) complaints. For instance:

KP: “Honey, you should bring your fishing gear. I hear there are tons of trout in the lake.”
RP: “Yeah, but they’re all farm-raised and dumped into the lake.  And you can’t fly fish on a lake, so I’d have to bring a spinner.”

KP: “It’ll be nice to get into the mountains though.”
RP: “Eh, yeah, I guess. It’s like 6,000 feet but it’s more desert than mountains. It’s not like it’s Wyoming.”

KP: “I hope there are some good hikes. I found a 6-mile loop with views of the lake.”
RP: “It’ll probably be pretty hot. It is the desert. And I bet those trails are really easy.”

KP: “Well, at least we’ll have a nice little cabin to relax in.”
RP: “Yeah, but I’d rather be in a real cabin. That’s just a house in town, not a mountain cabin in the middle of nowhere.”

Despite the many clouds RP found within my silver linings, I had a lovely time with our friends this weekend. 

We managed to hike, visit the shops, eat ourselves silly, play a few board games, and spend some much-needed time outside Orange County.

We even had the luxury of a giant jetted Jacuzzi tub in the middle of the kitchen (don’t be jealous).

So, despite the frequent insults to RP’s mountaineering pride, I’d give the quaint little lake town two thumbs up.







So there.

1 comment: