Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lessons from TMZ

The subject with A child (not with child, as previously-assumed)


If Bon Jovi has taught me anything, it's that announcements of life's key milestones can go viral before the subject is even aware they occurred.


Take this weekend, for instance. I wanted nothing more than to celebrate a simple Christmas evening among family: opening presents, playing games, and stuffing myself silly. I didn't know -- and therefore didn't care -- where my iPhone was or who might have access to it.

Rookie mistake.


Among a family of five brothers, one brother-in-law and three practical-joke-playing nephews, who would have thought it was RP that needed to be watched?


Well, I should have known.

Neck-deep in a game of mafia, I was amused by text Rick received from his dad:


"Is Kristen pg, or is this a joke?"


I found myself amused by the text, but was quite baffled when my own grandmother texted 10 minutes later (yes, my grandmother is hip):


"Congrats! I'm excited! Can't wait to hear all the details. Love you! Grandma."


My first reaction was natural: I'd better check Facebook.



By then, the damage was done.


"I'm prego" written by yours truly (or her charming ghostwriter) at the top of the newsfeed.

30-something comments and 45 likes showed that the news had gone viral. I'm still regularly receiving congratulatory texts/emails/phone calls.

On the bright side, it's a great coverup for Christmas-fudge-induced-weightgain.

Thanks for the Christmas "gift," RP.

No comments:

Post a Comment