Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gifts of the Magi-c Mind Reader

Jesse James and Tiger Woods excluded, keeping secrets is hard when you’re married.

And that makes Christmastime a tad bit tricky. Especially when you’re married to someone who’s far too practical for surprising and superfluous Christmas presents. RP doesn’t seem to see the point of receiving a gift he may or may not be excited to use/wear/have; whereas I delight in the element of surprise, but find myself far too impatient to stand the suspense and end up hunting through the house for any hint of yuletide giftery.

Our conversations regarding gifts have gone something like this:

RP: “What do you want for Christmas?”

K: “Eh, I don’t know; surprise me.”

RP: “But like with what? Clothes? Jewelry? Entertainment?”

K: “Don’t get me clothes. But surprise me.”

RP: “Okay, but like… what do you want most?”

K: “Fine. A Canon Rebel EOS DSLR.”

RP: “Cool.”

On the other hand…

K: “What do you want for Christmas?”

RP: “A wetsuit.”

K: “Okay, I’ll see what I can do.”

RP: “But the only one I want is an XCel Infiniti Chest-Zip 3/2 in size MS.”

K: “Umm… okay, I’ll see what I can do.”

RP: “But they come on sale on Whiskey Militia during the spring, so if it’s over $200, don’t get it and I’ll buy it this spring.”

K: “Okay then what do you want for Christmas?”

RP: “Just cash for the wetsuit. Or jeans, but I need to try them on first. Or a fishing vest, but I’ll have to send you the link so you know exactly which one.”

Guess we’ll leave things to Santa this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment