Saturday, October 22, 2011

October = Terror



October may be a frightening month, with its demons and devils and buckets of anxiety-laced (for me) chocolate. But last year, October brought a slow and insidious terror for both RP and me, one that threatened to unnerve even the most stalwart of hearts.


We got engaged.


Truth be told, the night RP proposed in the San Diego mountains of Julian, I slept with my hand closed into a tight fist for fear that he’d reconsider and take my ring away.

And after five whirlwind months of trying on dresses, searching for dessert recipes and trying to convince my mother that I really didn’t care where our reception was, we even got married.


Of course, engagements do have their pleasantries, namely the intriguing things I found out about RP inthe process.


  • He has opinions. On things like wedding cake flavors and his own attire.

  • He had no idea that engagement rings and wedding bands were two separate (andrecommended) entities.

  • His analytics know no bounds. I say this after spending 6 straight weekends in a row with himtrying to find us a suitable apartment (note that “suitable” says little about its interior andeverything about its proximity to a good surfing beach).

  • He has priorities – like requesting work off for his yearly Mexico Thanksgiving trip and neglecting to mention he may need a few days to tie the knot (he did cut said trip short to spend Turkeyday with me, however)

  • He’s logical to a fault (the fault being that he advised me to fix the clutch in my car rather thanhave pre-wedding cosmetic surgery. He lost.).

One year later, I'm not even sick of this old ring.


Thanks for making it through the scary part, RP.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad that this mariage thing is working out for you guys, and here are the reasons. #1 I miss Rick, and since we are both pretty busy Rad made a blog so I can now read about Rick. #2 Just more of #1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband did not realize it is appropriate to buy a separate wedding ring, either. To this day, I still am wearing only my engagement ring (luckily I like it, so it's all good!)

    ReplyDelete