Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Life on the Farm














I once read a fable about a mythical farm wherein the animals overthrew the farmer and created a communal society of their own.

I don't think it was a comedy.

But I recall, in that story, a rule of law erected that morphed over time:

"All animals are equal; but some animals are more equal than others."

While this kind of ideology may not have flown in the Soviet Union (longer than a few decades), I'd like to think that it holds some validity in the (Radford/)Price household. Sorry, Karl Marx.

You see, this whole man/woman/twain/one flesh/like-mindedness just isn't always so cut and dry. Sure, RP and I may be blissfully matched, but that doesn't mean our brainwaves are always on the same frequency. Take, for instance, a few power struggles we've had in our (almost) month of marriage:

K: "I'm going to do laundry. Will you hand me that towel?"
R: "The beach towel? It's not dirty. I've just used it for surfing this week."
K: "Well, maybe we should wash it since you've used it a few times."
R: "Well, I'm going to use it tomorrow."
K: "Right, sweetheart. Sometimes we wash things we're going to use again."

K: "I need to pay my tithing."
R: "Okay but try not to let the bishop see you."
K: "Why?"
R: "They'll make us speak if they see us."
K: "Well, they know we're in the ward."
R: "I know, but if we keep out of their direct site, they might forget about us."
K: "Don't you think they'll think about us when they're making assignments anyway?"
R: "Just try to give it to a counselor."

R: "How long do you think a baby could live in this room if we went on vacation?"
K: "Probably longer than it would take CPS to get here and take it away."
R: "No, but really. How would anything in this room kill a baby?"
K: "Lots of things could. Like cords or electrical outlets, or a mirror falling from the wall."
R: "But what if we padded the walls and there was nothing else in this room? Couldn't we leave a baby in it then?"
K: "Babies have to eat."
R: "We could just leave its food in the corner."

How does this relate to life on the farm? Well, dear reader; a clean towel, a friendly chat with a bishop and an empty uterus are evidence enough: on this farm, some animals are more equal than others.

4 comments:

  1. KRP: Good for you to even offer to wash the surf towels - Brett is always so surprised and happy when/if I do.

    This post was a good time, keep'em comin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Brett. I have known for quite sometime that Price is one of my best friends. This post showing Rick's logic, just proves to me why I know this to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha... I'm glad that we have sympathy on both sides from the Montgomeries. We should def hang out more often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He had a point about the bishop thing...

    ReplyDelete